Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Happy July 4th to all! I couldn’t believe our luck, the fireworks finally moved from the East River to the Hudson , which meant we would have a front row view from the Pier right outside our apartment on 68thth and the West Side Highway (maybe? we couldn't get a straight answer from anyone whether or not we would actually have a view) . 

We decided to chance it and were excited to have some of our friends over to watch them. I spent the day cooking (and cleaning because the cleaning women never showed up for her appointment!) then we went out to the Pier. It was mobbed…okay, what did I expect? I thought everyone would be away for the holiday! Wrong….there was an area of the pier that was completely dead. 

So I tried to see if I could find a nice cop (success!) and told them that we were residents in the area and would we be able to go through to that section. Sure enough, with just Proof of Residency, the metal barricades opened for us and we were able to get event closer to the fireworks. When the first barge went off Keith & I were about to die. It looked like a speck of light in the sky, it was blocks, maybe even miles away from us. We slowly were planning our escape from our group of friends, who probably wouldn’t be  our friends if those were the only fireworks they were seeing tonight. Then the sky exploded, literally right in front of us. All of the barges went off simultaneously and we watched some of the most incredible fireworks I’ve ever seen. They went on for just about a half hour. 

Next year I know where I could sell spots to watch them!

No comments:

Post a Comment